Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday, August 3rd

I was a little dubious about Rollyo...would I really use this?? That is until I saw the Food and Dining rollyo someone had set up....to only search true food sites like Epicurious, Chowhound, and foodie blogs. I realized that it would have helped if I had had this last night when I was searching for a good recipe for Chiles Rellenos and trying to figure out whether the original recipe uses Hatch New Mexican chiles (or Anaheim) or Poblanos. Searching on Google brought up a lot of personal pages and mexican grocery stores websites which I didn't want to have to take the time to evaluate. But when I searched for chiles rellenos in the Rollyo engine, it brought up some of the recipes I had searched for in Epicurious, plus a discussion of Hatch vs. Poblano in Chowhound, and a thread on a forum in egullet.....all sites which have delivered for me in the past. Plus, it brought up a blog I had never heard of The Accidental Hedonist. So I can see myself using this for food; I would also be interested to perhaps create one for archival issues. When I'm searching for help on a general topic, I have various websites and forums I search which I could roll into one engine.

Note: searching for "Archives" in Google is not recommended as almost every site has what it calls an Archive. Archivists will argue that this is a misuse of the word, but I'm afraid it's a losing battle in the world of semantics.

Note #2: It appears that Poblanos are the most commonly-stuffed pepper in Mexico and California, while in New Mexico, you'll most likely get the Hatch. So there you go.

No comments: